THEOREM – youTH intEllectual prOpeRty Education program
is a dissemination project to promote and raise knowledge and awareness on Intellectual Property (IP) and the respect of IP rights in the context of creative industries and high‐tech start‐ups.
The Project lasted 12 months (March 2018 – March 2019) and was cofounded by the European Union Intellectual Property Office-EUIPO, GR/001/17, Lot 2: Reaching to younger generation and citizen Application reference n° 077.
The Project activities ended with a closing event on 27th February 2019, Politecnico di Milano, Milan.
University students, young researchers, young future entrepreneurs and start-uppers (15-30 years) of creative industries and high‐tech start‐ups. Especially attention towards university students coming from engineering, architectural and design academic courses of the Universities of Milan and Lombardy Region.
Participation in the Project events was free-of-charge.
- An Awareness IP Program made of six live training events (April-October 2018) lasting half day, in Milan to promote and increase sensibility on Intellectual Property. Each event was focused on target IP topic: Design, Software and Copyright, Patents for invention, Trademarks, Free-on-line Databases for IP searches, IP for start-ups. Each event established:
- a Training session (entry/beginners level) held by IP experts;
- a Debate and Experiences session with the attendance of influencers/disseminators of scientific culture, university experts, startups & entrepreneurs, enterprises & companies;
- the execution of a video, with didactic objectives and recap of the event.
- An Intellectual Property Game Storm workshop (30th October 2018, Polihub, Milan): a stimulating ideas generation workshop, where all the participants, supported by IP experts, Game Designers and other facilitators worked and competed together in order to design and formulate storytelling games for the promotion of patent protection culture.
- The development of interactive web-application story-telling IP Game entitled Try it again, Karl!, based on the concept of a narrative history formulated during the IP Rights Game Storm;
- The execution of a handbook (40 pages) on how to manage IP rights in the context of a start-up ‘Intellectual Property for startups’;
- A Closing Event (27th February 2019, Politecnico di Milano, Milan) Intellectual Property as a tool for competing for companies and start-ups, to share Project results and to communicate the different actions and opportunities related to Intellectual Property that can be undertaken to boost the growth and competitive edge of new entrepreneurship and companies.
- The slides of the IP experts invited to be speakers for each of the Training Sessions, as an entry-level didactic material on the main IP topics;
- Training videos (about 12 minutes, in Italian) and a recap of all the events:
- The handbook “Intellectual Property for start-ups” (in the Italian Language);
- A web-app interactive game on the IP rights Try it again, Karl! , in the form of a story-telling game with ludic and training aims, taking inspiration from a real historical event, particularly suggestive and focused on how to protect target technical invention, its valorization through international patent filings and the licensing action.
Above materials are freely available (currently in the Italian Language) in the project website.
Further references and materials
Project website http://www.l2pro.it/theorem/project/